Wednesday 8 May 2013

My "hangout" . . .

If it isn't great enough that I get to longarm some amazing quilts, I also get to hang out in a great space.  Addies Creative Fabrics is a small shop in the town of Cochrane, Alberta, Canada. I rent a space at the back of the shop where I have Freeda set up.  Customers come directly into the shop to drop off and pick up their quilts and so far, so good!  If you're in the neighbourhood - stop in!

Last Sunday I was at the shop working on a quilt - and it was like a dream - being all alone in a fabric store!  While I love being there when the store is open, it's also very productive to be at my shop when I'm all alone and totally focused.

Here are a few shots of my "happy place" . . .

The back door of Addies from the back parking lot . . .  I'm the first one there!


Looking into my space
Lots of quilt tops waiting their turn with Freeda and me!


Juvenile prints - just outside my doorway


Lots of notions and quilts on display

The cash desk - and of course, more quilts on display


The front entranceway . . .


Cutting table - patterns, and more fabrics and quilts

..... and more fabric!

















Doesn't that look like a great place to spend a few hours?

The space next to me is leased to a shop owner selling the most beautiful cotton poplins and jersey knits for making clothes - for both little kids and the big kid in all of us.  Michelle brings in top quality fabrics from Europe ..... they are very unique and excellent quality.  She's also operating an on-line store   -  l'oiseau fabrics - and check out her patterns - SWEET!!! 


l'oiseau fabrics


fun, fun, pattern books!
and then there's this room at the front of the store - The Front Room - all antiques, photographs, pottery  -
 
The Front Room
 
 

I've been busy with customer quilts - so busy, that I've neglected my photo duties!  But, here are a couple of quilts that were completed in the Little House over the past week or so. 

Fran brought in the beautiful quilt for me  - it was perfectly pieced and a pleasure to work with!
 
Fran's quilt - Taro panto; So-fine thread


Fran's quilt hanging with Freeda

Tamara made the cutest little baby quilt - all about farmyard animals.  She chose a freehand design; glide thread - don't you love the way the quilting looks in the Minkee backing!

Tamara's Farmyard quilt

Minkee backing - love the texture!



Tamara's Farmyard quilt - hanging with Freeda

 
 
I've had the opportunity over the past week to work on four shop samples that Janet, owner of Addies, is taking to the Canadian Quilters Association show in Penticton, BC.  They are off getting binding done - but I'll get pictures and post once they return from the show.  If you happen to be at the CQA show, stop by Addie's booth and say hi to Janet!
 
It's finally warmed up here in Alberta - we are looking at +25 degree temperatures for the next few days - I'm packing up and going camping!  Happy Mother's Day!
 
 
 


No comments:

01 09 10