Wednesday 20 November 2013

Here's what I did yesterday . . . .


Yesterday, Andrea from Urban Quiltworks and I braved the elements and headed 300 kms up the QEII to Edmonton to take a class from Jamie Wallen at Sparrow Studioz - actually, my DH did the driving, Andrea and I just sweated it out as we drove through blowing snow and icy roads. 

Why???  Well, to doodle - yes, doodle . . . like this . . . .


and this . . .



and more of this . . . .


 
 





The goal here is to doodle, doodle, doodle . . . and then incorporate these design elements in my quilting - a lofty goal - but it can happen!  We did a lot of drawing in the class, and a bit of practice on the APQS machines - and then a lot more drawing.  Like Jamie says, this is just the "bones" of the designs - each quilter will add their own unique style - I'll let you know what I come up with!


I also picked up a few new colors of thread . . . because I REALLY need more thread . . . ;)


..... aren't they beautiful!  I can't wait to use them on a quilt!

This week I also learned how to make clothesline baskets - another obsession!  It's a great way to use up scraps, and make something useful.  Really, you can never have too many baskets, can you?  I figure I'll make a basket with each quilt I piece - you know, something to go with the quilt . . . sounds like a very good plan to me - what do you think?  And . . . you can use the same technique to make hot mats, coasters, placemats, purses, beach bags, shopping bags . . . the possibilities are endless!





Fabric Bowl - from the top


. . . it's just the perfect size for my new threads!
 

 
 Until next time . . . . I'll be doodling and basket making at the Little House!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I've started drawing zentangles to help with my machine quilting. The repetitive nature of the drawing has also been most relaxing.

Alberta said...

Beautiful doodling and even lovelier quilting. Sounds like you are learning lots. Thanks for the blog update, will be a new follower.

Safe travels home.

01 09 10