Saturday, 27 June 2015

Custom Quilting . . . .

I've had a few custom quilting jobs on Freeda over the past couple of months.  I love custom quilting, but have to admit, it's stressful and takes a lot of time . . . but the results are worth it - in my humble opinion!

Heather made this quilt top in reds, whites, and beige colors - just so awesome.  She did a wonderful job of piecing!  When we talked about what she wanted, Heather was very clear that she wanted it peaceful - and didn't want the quilting to overtake the piecing, but rather work with the piecing.  She chose the stencil design for the plain blocks, and I quilted each of the pieced blocks differently - but remained simple.  I "ditched" around each block, and added an extra 1/4" border in each of the plain blocks . . . I love how it turned out! . . . and so did Heather - I think between the two of us we captured what she wanted for her quilt. Here's a bit of a photo journey of the process . . .

just starting out - stitching around each block in the "red" .... see how the SID makes the block stand out?

 
 
 ...moving on to the cross hatching in the setting triangles . . .


....working down through the quilt -



done . . .




backing . . .looks as nice as the front! 


See why I love custom quilting???  Lots more coming . . . from the Little House . . .

3 comments:

Lori S said...

Beautifully done. I love the choice of using a stencil in the open blocks, less fussy than feathers. I think you achieved your goal.

Ardelle said...

Loving fabulous Bev!

Heather Rourke said...

And the owner of the quilt burst into tears upon seeing it, because it is so beautifully done! I have a whole cloth quilt on one side, and a lovely red-and-white quilt on the other. Bev does wonderful work!

01 09 10