Wednesday 2 March 2016

. . . here's to 2015 (part 3!)

Wow - I didn't know I had so much I hadn't shared with you!

Betty made this wolf quilt for her husband.  They were on a trip to Skagway, Alaska and saw this kit in a quilt store there.  Her husband loved it - so they bought it and Betty made it for him!

This is a unique type of piecing - the sashing isn't straight up and down.  I stitched in the ditch around all the sashing, put a watery meander around the centre wolf, and tried to follow some of the wolf's fur lines - and that almost made the wolf look real!  He appears to be peering right off the quilt!





I tried a new border treatment using a tutorial by Kathy Schwartz of Tamarack Shack Quilting.  If you go to her blog (and once you stop drooling over her amazing quilting!!!) check out the tutorials on the left hand side of the main page - look for Curved Echo Border.   It wasn't too difficult once I got the hang of it, and I was happy with how it looked on the quilt.



Wolf Quilt - Curved Echo Border

Joan made this quilt with the pattern and fabric designed by a local quilt designer Joanie Morrow from Olds, Alberta (http://www.patternworkzdesignstudio.com/patterns.html)  The pattern is called Circle of Life.  I quilted it using three sizes of circle templates - overlapping as I went.  Glide Thread; Hobbs 80/20 batting





Circle of Life - backing

This next one is quite a contrast - colorful +++ I mean.  Gale made this Hunter Star quilt with beautiful bright batiks.  It was a wedding present - so we put Heart Strings panto on it, Glide Thread.



Gale's Hunter Star - close up of backing
I think this next one is one of my favorite colour combinations!  Alice does a lot of quilting and sewing for people  - so her friends gave her these beautiful orange/brown fabrics to let her know how much they appreciate her generosity.  This is the quilt Alice made with that fabric.  Diamonds are Forever panto; Glide thread; Hobbs 80/20 batting.



Alice's quilt - close up backing

Myrla's quilts are always unique - and this one is no exception.  It is made with a selection of Kaffe Fasset fabrics - which are always bright and flowery!  But, check out the backing!!!  Spiral Rings panto, glide thread; Hobbs 80/20 batting



Myrla's quilt - backing!!
So, you'd think I'm caught up now . . . but no . . . there will be at least a part 4!!

Will be posting soon - from the Little House.


No comments:

01 09 10