Friday 22 May 2020


I haven't blogged here for a very long while - but now with all the time on my hands, and the craziness going on in the world, I have decided to try and resuscitate the Little House Creations blog.  Not to say I haven't been doing a lot of quilting in the past few years - I have - and I'll post  about them soon.  First off tho, I thought I would share my version of the cloth mask.  There are plenty of patterns out there, and they are all good, but this design is just a bit different than most. I am not taking any credit for the pattern as I got it from a You Tube video from Japan - with just a little change with the elastic.  These masks aren't real big - but big enough to cover the nose and mouth which is what you want.

So, here's my little tutorial in pictures - forgive me for not being computer savvy enough to make a video - old fashioned photos will just have to work for now 😀


Here's what I need to get started (clockwise from top right corner) 


  • Pattern template
  • 2 pieces of cotton fabric cut to 6" x 9" (approx)
  • crochet hook
  • rotary cutter and ruler
  • pressing mat and iron
  • elastic - 30 - 32" approx
  • glue stick



Fold the two pieces of fabric right sides together and place on top of each other.  Place the fabric template on top of the fabric aligning the edge along the folded edge (as shown).  I put a small amount of glue on the back side of the template to hold it in place instead of pins.



Using the rotary ruler and cutter, cut around the template.  For a medium sized mask, I cut 1/4" larger than the template.


 Keeping the pieces right sides together, sew a 1/4" seam along the short diagonal edges for each piece - this shapes the mask for the nose and chin.


Fold over about 1/8" along the side edge of the mask piece and sew to secure



Repeat for each piece, then layer the pieces together right sides together.  You can pin or clip if you want - I usually don't but thought it would look good for the photo 😏





Starting with just one side, sew both pieces together using a 1/4" seam - backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam.  Make sure to keep the seam allowance of the centre "darts" going the opposite direction to reduce bulk.


 Press the first seam open.

Turn piece wrong sides together and press first seam flat



Turn piece right sides together again and stitch second seam using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Backstitch at beginning and end of seam.



Press second seam open

Turn piece right sides out (through the side ends)



Press the second seam flat 



Make the casing for the elastic by stitching about 1/2" from the edge of the top of the mask - backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam - DO NOT CUT THE THREAD.  With the needle down, turn the mask and continue sewing the side closed using a narrow seam.  I guess if you were using some kind of a filter you could leave that side seam open and insert the filter there.  Stop at about 1/2" from the end.  Leave the needle down and turn to continue sewing the casing on the bottom of the mask.  Don't forget to backstitch at the beginning and end of this seam. The reason I say this is because this is where the elastic will be coming through and stressing that seam.  Continue until back at the edge of the top casing (do not sew the casings shut at the ends)  Sorry I missed those pictures




That's it - the sewing is done.  This all takes about 10 minutes.  Now I usually give it a good press to make sure the dart seams are OK.  



Easy peasy - right?  Now I usually wash the mask before putting the elastic through.

The mask is washed, dried and pressed - and ready for the elastic.  I use about 30" to 32"- which I know is a lot more than some but it makes for a snug fit.  Using a crochet hook, thread the elastic piece through the top of the mask and then the bottom.



Size the elastic around the ears of the user and close the loop with a knot.  This is why I don't put the elastic in before washing the mask as it needs to be "sized".  The knot can be pulled through and hidden inside the casing so it doesn't hurt the ears.


Once the mask is over nose and mouth, a gentle tug on both sides of the elastic will tighten the mask around the face. (kind of like the oxygen masks in the airline safety video)



.... and it's reversible!!! (after washing of course!)









3 comments:

Gina said...

OOoh - I've been itching to get in there and sew something lately. I also have half a dozen cross stitch ideas in the works. Just need to free time. If I worked from home I could be such a multi-tasker! Ha!

erectile dysfunction treatment said...

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this web site.

ed pills said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Kudos!

01 09 10